Specific Payer Items
Online Submission for National ProviderIdentifiers Now Available
Providers may now submit their national provider identifiers (NPIs) online throughthe provider portal on the Health Net Web site at www.healthnet.com. This updateincludes instructions on how to submit an NPI to Health Net, as well as information on applying for an NPI.
ONLINE NPI SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Providers may submit their NPIs at www.healthnet.com after logging on to the provider portal and selecting the following path:
> Policies and Procedures
> Account Management
> Submit National Provider Identifier (NPI) Information.
Once there, providers are prompted to follow these steps:
- Enter the NPI (only one NPI can be submitted at a time; the following steps may be repeated to submit additional NPIs as needed).
- Select one of the following entity types to be associated with the NPI:
- An individual who renders health care
- An organization that renders health care or a part of an
organization that renders health care
- Select the tax identification numbers (TINs) to be associated with the NPI.
- Select the Health Net provider identification (ID) numbers to be
associated with the NPI.
- Select the provider addresses to be associated with the NPI.
- Enter the taxonomy codes to be associated with the NPI (a taxonomy code look-up is provided for assistance).
Once the appropriate information has been entered, the provider must verify that the information entered is accurate and select the submit button to proceed. Once the NPI has been submitted successfully, a submission request number appears on the screen. It is important that providers save this number; it will be necessary if they need to contact Health Net regarding the submission of their NPI. After following these steps, providers may repeat the above process and enter additional NPIs as needed.
APPLYING FOR AN NPI
Most Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)-covered entities, including Health Net, are required to use providers’ NPIs in conjunction with standard transactions on May 23, 2007 (small health plans have until May 23, 2008). Providers who have not already obtained their NPI are encouraged to start the application process as soon as possible.
Providers may apply for their NPI in one of two ways:
- Complete the Web-based application at https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov
- Call Fox Systems, Inc., the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ (CMS’) contracting vendor to serve as the NPI Enumerator, at (800) 465-3203 or TTY (800) 692-2326 to request a paper application
For questions regarding NPI, visit the National Provider Identifier section on the provider portal of the Health Net website at:
www.healthnet.com > Provider > National Provider Identifier.
Here you may view a guide for preparing for NPI, as well as find answers to frequently asked questions about NPI and how Health Net is preparing for this mandate.
If you have questions regarding the information contained in this update, contact the Health Net Provider Services Center by email at HNNE.ProviderServices@healthnet.com, through the provider portal of the Health Net Web site at www.healthnet.com or by telephone at (800) 438-7886.